Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Busy Monday

We're obviously back from the beach and our time was great! I was wishing for one more day of solitude. One might think with all the extra company, one would get no time to themselves. (I'm not quite sure why I'm talking in third person) Although my time was not my own, we still managed to get some.




Anyway, it was beautiful the day we were heading home(shocker) so we took advantage and decided sand castles on the beach must be accomplished before ending our time.






Although it was freezing we made the best of the sunny day and drug it out as long as we could.










I bet you can't guess what we used this for???




Don't let your mind wonder to far.







Oh ya, jumping some rope.




Yup, even Justin! 




We were certainly blessed to have the company of Grammy and Matti. 


And each other.






Beach trip over......... back to reality......... coming home is always a bum. 


We dove head first into the typical busy Monday.


Ave had school, and I had two meetings followed by early dinner plans. All while catching up on laundry, preparing for work Tuesday, and doing more laundry.


So for the fun part (I'm getting there I promise) my close friends and I ( a.k.a) "The Farm Wives" had our meeting first thing. We decided though that it wouldn't be our kind of meeting without good food. So we each brought a dish. Kind of brunch.....ish, only it was 9:30 a.m.


I was instructed to bring something that would pair well with Amy's tasty and elegant Strata(it's fun to roll your r when you say it......Strrrrrrrrata) One more time....... Strrrrrrrrrata.  Oh and amazing pecan muffins made by Megs. 


I thought a salad would be perfect. I'm not talking iceberg lettuce with Nalley's Ranch. I'm talking orange scented "Fennel and apple salad"


Most people might think this particular salad would be more appropriate for summer. I say no matter what time of year.......if it looks good, eat it!









Okay, It's no secret that I like fennel. I guess for me the texture is a cross between, celery, and a radish. But the flavor out ways both in my opinion. I love it! This salad is so fresh and the dressing......oooohhh the dressing, is so bright and delicious. Perfect for a brunch, or lunch, or anytime. 


Zest 1/2 an orange


Squeeze the juice of two oranges


Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon

2 tsp Dijon mustard


2 Tb onion, chopped fine(I soak the onion in cold water for 10 min, to cut some of the strong flavor)


1/3 cup olive oil


Pinch of salt


A few grinds of the pepper


Generous pinch of sugar


Shake it like you mean it!


Toss with 1 granny apple, sliced in match stick form. And 1 fennel bulb, sliced very thin. Add some chopped fronds for color.













Fennel and apple salad with
orange scented dressing(inspired by David Lieberman)


Ingredients


2 oranges, juiced
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 orange zested
2 Tb onion, chopped very fine
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
generous pinch of sugar
pinch of salt
4-5 grinds of pepper
1 granny smith apple, peeled and core removed
1 fennel bulb, fronds reserved


Directions


Put the first nine ingredients in mason jar and shake until combined.


Peel and core apple and slice thin in match stick form. Remove fennel stalk, remove outer layer off bulb and slice very thin. Put in serving bowl, chop a couple tablespoons of fronds over the top and pour dressing on. Mix and serve right away. Serves 4


Note:You may not need all the dressing, but don't throw out all that goodness. Save it for another salad. 






I guess Mondays aren't so bad after all.

11 comments:

  1. Yummy! So refreshing, great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This fennel and apple salad looks so fresh and delicious! Glad you guys had a wonderful trip to the beach too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking salad so fresh and delicious, and great family photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a refreshing salad...my dh thinks I'm poisoning him whenever I use fennel, but I think I should make a small batch for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @LizzyYes you should Lizzy, or take it to a girls gathering:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos...love the beach and lots of family happiness!

    Orange scented salad sound very refreshing! Great for the summer weather now at Downunder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fennel and orange together, and I love the idea of adding some apple to the party... sounds so delightfully crispy and refreshing!
    I'm also so envious of your day on the beach. I love being by the ocean, no matter what time of year it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This salad looks phenomenal! Will you bring it to dinner? We must pick a date!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you guys had a great time!

    That salad looks amazing! The combination of those ingredients sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete