Saturday, January 22, 2011

The very last one.......for now.

With my freezer full, my house smelling of cumin and sauted onions, my chili marathon comes to an end . I can't say that I'm sick of chili yet, but lets just say next week will be a whole different scene. 


Her on the other hand needed a break and decided she'd make her own dinner.




Or perhaps she's second guessing her choice.




This past week and weekend was crazy busy. Crazy! And I plan on sharing more about that later on. But for now, I need to keep it simple, get you what I've promised, and catch up on some much needed Zzzzzzz.


The chili cook off is tomorrow at church and my original plan was to pick my favorite from this weeks recipes and enter in tomorrows gathering. However, I'm tired and although my heart resides over the stove, my feet tell me otherwise.


This will have to do.


My very last chili recipe is something I came up with when walking through Costco and my local grocery stores. It's kind of my thing to search and rescue any food products and turn my basket full of goodies into something scrumptious. 




Basket of goodies.........meet my new dutch oven. ( Early B-day gift from my BFF)






Vegetarian Chili With Gourmet Bean Blend






It all starts with these.






I found these beauties at Costco giving me inspiration for other recipes.


For now.......chili.




I also found a great meat substitute that works perfect in dishes like these soaking up all the spices and flavors making this, one tasty chili.






Just crumble the package in a bowl




The process




Saute veggies and add spices.


Cumin. Chili powder. Cayenne. Chipotle powder.




Add veggie crumbles




Add tomatoes and sauce


Add rinsed dried beans


Add vegetable stock




After it's cooked for 2 1/2 hours add corn and fresh parsley. Put lid back on and cook another 2-3 hours; until beans are tender.














Vegetarian Chili with Gourmet Bean Blend




Ingredients


3 cups mixed dried beans, rinsed(use your favorite variety)
12oz package Original veggie protein crumbles(I used Lightlife)
3 Tb Canola oil
1 onion, diced small
2 carrots, diced small
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups frozen corn
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 Tb cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
4-5 cups quality vegetable stock
1/2 cup fresh parsley
salt and pepper


Toppings


Corn bread, cheese, sour cream, green onions......etc


Directions


In a large Dutch oven or stock pot saute onions, carrots and garlic on medium heat with 3 Tb Canola oil. When slightly soften add spices. Let cook another 1 minute and add veggie crumbles. Stir to combine and add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, and vegetable stock; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a slight boil, turn down heat to simmer, and cover with lid for 2 1/2 hours. 


Add corn, parsley and more salt(if needed) and cook another 2-3 hours, depending on how tender you like your beans. 


Put your favorite toppings on and dig in!

















Thank you all for your lovely comments and sticking with me as I chili my way through this past week.

15 comments:

  1. This sounds hearty and uber-healthy! I would vote for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks good! I'm on a bean kick, so this is right up my ally. Love the cornbread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I been going more vegetarian, and this looks so yummy! I want make today, too cold to go outside and Steelers play today, nothing better then Good food, chili and football LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think it's possible to have too much chili (well, maybe after you've eaten too many beans..lol). I love your combination of flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That looks amazing! Chili is the ultimate comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. healthy delicious perfect when it is cold outside

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great looking chili! Good luck at the chili cook off, with this one, you're a shoe in!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious and so comforting, photos are awesome as always!! Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks soooo delicious! Nothing like a big bowl of chili on a cold day. I love the colors of the dried beans! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was soo good Ang!! What beauiful pics too:) I really am wanting to try the one with potato in it now...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE vegetarian chili! This looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE vegetarian chili! This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your chili is making my mouth water!! I love that huge container of beans as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a nice looking chili, hope you won at the cook off with it! I love that big ol container of beans, i'll have to check my costco for them. Have a great week.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow...I can finish the whole pot of this dish. I'm a big fan of vegetarian food...with chili, I can imagine this dish is so irresistible!

    Sad to know that this is the end of your Chili marathon. I look forward for more if you are going to do this again :D

    ReplyDelete