Saturday, November 27, 2010

Calling all leftovers!!!

There are a lot of leftovers in life. Leftover food, leftover clothes, leftover furniture. Even my wine was leftover from my bff for me to consume tonight.



I hate to say, it tastes like skunk, but it will do.

Today I needed to tackle some things that are always on my list a couple days after Thanksgiving.
1. Start Christmas decorating
2. Use some of my leftovers from the Holiday

As I was pulling everything out from last years decor, I was kind of thrilled that I probably wouldn't need to buy much more. I've been married for quite some time so accumulation is an understatement.

Let's just say........ I make due with my leftovers.



The "E" clearly has issues


Can you find the fault in these stocking hangers?



It's actually an invitation picture card


With no back, and no shield in front.


But I make due.

I called our friends last minute for none other than,
leftovers, but to my advantage, she was already preparing dinner and volunteered to bring it over.
Great! I said, I will make biscuits with leftover sweet potatoes.

Sweet potato biscuits
The hint of sweet potato is just enough and the texture of these are perfect.

The process

Use leftover sweet potatoes

Puree with a little water

Until nice and smooth

Add some milk and stir

Pulse dry ingredients with butter

Add wet to dry and mix until it resembles this

Kneed a few times and shape it in a ball

Flatten in a disk

Cut them into rounds

These really don't need more butter, but that's up to you.
Honey on the other hand, don't forget it!


These don't look like leftovers, these don't taste like leftovers, but I made due. Or let's just say......we made due.



Sweet potato biscuits

Ingredients

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tb light-brown sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
6 Tb chilled unsalted butter, cut in cubes
3/4 cup leftover sweet potatoes, pureed
1/3 cup non fat milk

Directions
Heat oven to 425

In small food processor puree cooked leftover sweet potatoes with 2-3 Tb water until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and combine milk. In large food processor add the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda; pulse a couple times until incorporated. Add the 6 Tb butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.(pea size lumps)

Add the potato puree to flour mixture and combine, but don't overmix.(mixture will seem kind of crumbly and loose)

Turn out on your work surface sprinkled with flour and kneed 6-7 times. Form into a ball, and press down into a disk; about 1 inch in thickness. Use a traditional size cookie cutter dipped in flour first, or if your like me, use a water glass. (It works just as well) Take the scraps you have leftover "no pun intended" and repeat with process until all the dough is used up. You should have about 8 biscuits. Transfer to a non greased baking sheet putting the biscuits close together; bake 18-20 minutes or until puffed and golden.


I don't mind leftovers as long as it works, and it tastes good.


I changed my mind, this, will not do.




2 comments:

  1. I love making do!!! It all looks so yummy I love the idea of using sweet potato's in your rolls! and that soup looks mouth watering good. I have to agree on the wine though with some things its just not worth the making do part:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The soup was Meghan's and it was good:)

    ReplyDelete