Thursday, November 4, 2010

Thumbs up!

I grew up with a very domestic mom. She was a true homemaker, and put a lot of love into everything she made. She could take Raman noodles and make you feel like you were eating at a gourmet Asian restaurant. I clearly share that passion, and any chance she gave me I was there to help. I loved cooking with my mom, and trying my best to make it as pretty as she did. It was fun, rewarding, and memories were made. I'm fortunate now with Avery to pass on the love I have in the kitchen, and watch her blossom with me as I teach her new and old recipes.

With that said, and speaking for my mom as well, I also enjoy solo time when cooking or baking. I encourage Avery to help, but sometimes I need time in the kitchen without distractions. I like to get in the zone and have time to think about what I'm doing next and allow my creative side to shine in my food. This afternoon was one of those times I needed to just simply cook. I hate to push her out of the kitchen when she wants so desperately to help; my plan of action....... I told her that she was in charge of dessert. I left her to use whatever mini pans and spoons she liked, and shape, dollop, or smear any which way she pleased.



This chocolate chip cookie recipe is one of my most favorite, and made by a wonderful friend who can cook and bake like nobodies business. Also with no raw eggs it's most definitely eatable, edible cookie dough. You can find it here: http://www.peasandthankyou.com/(Just go to recipes and click on cookies and bars)



It's a thumbs up kind a cookie.



Speaking of not feeling guilty or hesitant, I'm not distracted, so free to make dinner.

Baked potato soup

The process






Guilt free baked potato soup:

5 large baking potatoes, baked(scrub potatoes, put in 400* oven, bake for 30 minutes until tender)
3 Tb olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
1 carrot chopped
2 celery ribs chopped
2 sprigs of thyme chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 qt non fat half-and-half
3 cups skim milk
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
shredded cheddar cheese
8 slices turkey bacon cooked and crumbled( I put mine in the microwave)
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed(optional)
chives or green onion to garnish

Directions:

Peel cooked potatoes and dice in bite size pieces.
Heat olive oil in stock pot on medium heat; add onion, carrots, celery and saute until tender. Add herbs, and flour; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in potatoes, half-and-half, and next 3 ingredients; cook over low heat until thoroughly heated and slightly thickened. Top with cheese, turkey bacon, and whatever else tickles your fancy.


It's a thumbs up kind a soup.


I think we all seemed to be pretty happy with my time in the kitchen, and it even added extra sweetness in our evening.




























3 comments:

  1. Okay I haven't eaten anything all week and I want that soup!! It looks so good...and healthy which is so cool. Love your new page too:)
    Take care:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!! I feel for ya. At least you'll be over it by the holidays.

    ReplyDelete