Saturday, November 20, 2010

Yes, for "creamy tomato soup"

Yes, I'm still on my soup kick. Yes It's 10:00 at night. Yes I still don't have a computer. And I'm thankful!

Mostly that I get a good giggle at least five times a day or so from Avery and our very annoying, but loved dog Copper 2. I can always find something very imaginative when I walk in a room.


If this picture doesn't convince you that this indeed is Ariel.......the next one will.




The dingle hopper is a must in ones collections. Unfortunately though she thought the dog had some tangles and needed a good scratching.


And then ate pears.



Don't worry it was a different fork.........I think.

My point to all this you ask? It's not the long flowing hair that entices my daughter to ware tangled, nappy looking wigs. And I don't even think it's Ariel herself that she admires.
Avery loves Red.



She wares it, she colors with it, and if the food is red by golly, she eats it.



Almost red, creamy tomato soup



The process
(Note: This soup, no doubt, is amazing)



Roast tomatoes




Soften onion & garlic



Admire your roasted tomatoes



Smell your basil



Chop & add it all to the pot




Admire the red wax cheese




Bring to a simmer




Put it all in the food mill




Pour it back in the pot




Add a healthy scoop of pureed butternut





And savor every single spoonful.

Creamy tomato basil soup:

Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter
3 pounds Roma tomatoes, halved and quartered
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1 quart quality vegetable stock
1 1/2 cups squash puree
1/4 tes cayenne pepper(or to taste)
olive oil
salt & pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 400. Place quartered tomatoes on sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper; roast 30 minutes. Meanwhile soften onion and garlic in large soup pot with butter. When tomatoes are roasted add them to the pot along with the basil and cayenne pepper; stir to combine. Add vegetable stock. Simmer mixture for 10 minutes. With a large ladle, spoon the mixture into a food mill.(if you don't have a food mill, treat the tomatoes the same only peel them, and add the soup to a blender) When all the soup is worked through the mill, add it back to the pot. Keep heat on very low. Add the squash puree, but don't boil as this will curdle the no fat half-and-half. Whisk it into the soup until it's all heated and smooth like. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
I toasted a multi grain baguette and shredded Fontina cheese over the top for a dipper in the soup. Wow!


It speaks for itself, except I do need a better camera to rid of all the shadows. Oh well, it's by far the best creamy tomato soup I think I've had.

Yes I'm bold to say that. Yes it's 12:23 a.m. Yes my daughter loved the soup, and yes this post might be a bit long.





Bye now!!















2 comments:

  1. We are both tired and crazy moms. It's 12:57 a.m.

    I love the dinglehopper and red wig. I hope it's a clean fork, though I know hair hygiene is a priority in your house.

    That soup looks AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete