Wednesday, December 22, 2010

??????

I always try to name my posts with something catchy, or at least something to do with what I am writing about. But often at the end I change it because I've traveled to far from the original. I hope I'm not the only one. Today, I'm leaving the title up for grabs and hoping that even if I don't have a title, I'll make some sense of this post.


I was asked about a week ago if I would be willing to watch a neighbors animals while they were out of town for the holidays. Fourteen days to be exact. I thought to myself, how bad could this be? A couple dogs, a few cats. No problem. It turned out there were 3 dogs, 9 cats inside, and 12 or so cats outside. All needing certain food with certain portions, and special attention to those of older age. 


I knew I couldn't do this on my own, so I offered a part time position to someone I knew would take special care and be enthusiastic about the job.






Don't get me wrong, I had plenty to do myself. The dogs are not socialized so I deal with them on my own while Avery snoops in a strangers house waits patiently for my signal to feed the cats. You might say I didn't know what I was getting into. And I didn't. Regardless, everyday Ave looks forward to feeding the cats hoping to catch and pet a few.




Here kitty kitty

With just four days to go for feedings, and only three days until Christmas, the last minute "to do's" are piling up (like litter boxes).

We met good friends today for coffee, hot cocoa, chocolate milk and a little horse back at the local stables.


And shared a fabulous dinner with my mommy dearest, and Chef bro. I did say fabulous because it was and might I say, very festive and Christmasy. Drum roll please.................



I know.

I only have two words for this exceptional Lasagna. Make it!!

The process

Saute veggies


Cook turkey meat, add veggies back and add sauce

Stir in spinach and herbs

Start layering 

Add lots of cheese

Top with lots more cheese



Pretty



Cheesy Turkey Lasagna

Ingredients

1 pound 98% lean ground turkey
1 turkey sausage(HOT)
2 cups chopped crimini mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jar pasta sauce(Newman's own anything)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
3 cups fresh or frozen spinach
9 lasagna noodles, cooked
2 1/2 cups fresh mozzarella
1 1/2 cups quality cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan
Olive oil
salt and pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 350

Cook lasagna noodles according to package with a little olive oil in boiling water; drain and set aside. In large skillet saute onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat with 1 Tb olive oil; cook just until tender. Add mushrooms and red pepper flakes. Cook until most of the liquid from mushrooms is evaporated. Transfer to a small bowl. 

In same skillet with 2 more Tb olive oil add ground turkey and Hot turkey sausage. Cook until no longer pink. Add cooked veggies, parsley, spinach and pasta sauce. Season with a little salt and pepper. Heat everything through.

In bottom of 9*13 pan spread 1/2 cup sauce. Layer 3 noodles, add  1/3 of the sauce, sprinkle some mozz and chedd and a sprinkle of basil. Repeat layers two more times ending with sauce on top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and 1/2 cup Parmesan. Bake for 30 minutes. Kick the broiler on high and brown the top just a couple minutes. Don't walk away from it.




Yes this is a day/meal worth tipping your glass to. Or lifting a finger to.




Pinkie finger of course.

2 comments:

  1. Oh mu goodness 3 dogs and 9 cats...I got dizzy just by reading:)) poor you, I know for sure that couldn't be easy..You lasagna look Heavenly...yum, yum!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to make this soon! It looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete